What To Do With All this Leftover Holiday Stilton?
As the Christmas and New Year celebrations wind down, you may find yourself with some left over Stilton. Don’t waste it – with a little care you can enjoy the rest of the cheese over the coming months. Here are some useful tips:
- Always keep your Stilton well wrapped in the refrigerator and preferably in an air tight container. This prevents the Stilton tainting any other foods in the fridge and stops Stilton being tainted by them.
- Properly wrapped Stilton will keep perfectly well in the fridge for a couple of weeks after opening. During this period, it will continue to mature and will become creamier in texture and develop a more mellow flavour.
- For longer storage, Stilton freezes beautifully. Cut into handy portion sizes of 150 grams (6 ozs) wrap in cling film or foil and keep for up to 3 months.
- Defrost in the fridge or a cool larder for about 24 hours before use – slow defrosting is essential to stop the cheese becoming too crumbly. Once defrosted use as normal but eat within a week and do not re-freeze.
- For recipe ideas click here.