Recipes - Main Dishes
Chicken Breasts with Crosse & Blackwell Chutney and Stilton Sauce
A riot of flavours makes ordinary chicken very special.
- 50g/2oz flour mixed with 1-tsp. salt and a pinch of black pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small jar of Crosse & Blackwell chutney
- 125ml/4floz chicken stock
- 110g/4oz dried cranberries
- 2 medium pears, cored and chopped
- 125ml/4floz red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 whole clove
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 stalk of celery and 1 leek cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 onion, quartered
- 110g/4oz peeled baby carrots
- 4 small potatoes
- 150g/5oz mashed Stilton cheese
1. Coat the chicken breasts in the flour-salt-pepper mixture. Brown in the vegetable oil over medium heat for 4-6 minutes each side. Remove to a lightly oiled baking dish. Meanwhile preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas4
2. Mix together the chutney, chicken stock, cranberries, pears, wine, bay leaves, cloves, and garlic. Pour evenly over breasts. Add the celery, carrots, and potatoes to the baking dish, pushing them to be covered by the liquid. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour without opening.
3. Make sauce by puréeing cooking liquid, cranberries, pears, celery, onion, and half of carrots with Stilton cheese and double cream. Serve over sauce and remaining vegetables.
Note: This is equally delicious made with pot roast of beef or a pork tenderloin. Adjust cooking time and amount of ingredients accordingly.
Recipe by Rosemary Furfaro